the mid-seventeenth century a lawyer from Kerkyra
Flanghinis left the Confraternity an important legacy.
In his will of 11 September 1644 he expressed his desire
for the foundation of a school and hospital, as well as
for the ransoming of prisoners and the dowering of needy
young women. The project for the construction of the school
was entrusted to the famous architect Baldassare
Longhena and by the end of the seventeenth century
both buildings had been completed, to the north of the church.
The Flanghinis College, one of the most important institutions
for the education of young Greeks, opened its doors in 1655.
It began to decline after the dissolution of the Venetian
Republic, and finally closed down in 1905. Its organisation
was similar to that of the Greek colleges of Padua and Rome.
The students — twelve boarders as well as some day
students — came from various Greek regions and had
the opportunity to continue their studies at the University
of Padua. At the beginning of the eighteenth century the
students at the College published two collections of poetry
entitled respectively "Flowers of virtue",
dedicated to the Mother of God, and "Greece’s
Homage to the Venetian Senate". The school’s
director, Ioannis Patousas, wrote and published a Literary
Encyclopedia, in four volumes, a valuable resource for Greek
schools in the Ottoman Empire.