You can find many of the Institute’s books, manuscripts, paintings and heirlooms in a digital format in the following link.
The Archive of the Hellenic Institute of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Studies of Venice will be closed from the 1st of March 2023 and during the Digitalization of its material.
The Archive of
the Hellenic Institute of Venice
The Archive of the Hellenic Institute of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Studies in Venice is one of the most valuable cultural assets belonging to the institution. It consists of archival documents dating from 1498 to 1954 which concern the history of the Greek Confraternity in Venice and the Venetian-occupied Greek territories (Stato da Mar). About a thousand registers, hundreds of folders and loose documents are kept, from the beginning of the 17th century until today, in the small room (camerino) next to the imposing Sala del Capitolo, where the once prosperous Confraternity held its meetings. In 1822 Constantine Kavakos, merchant and president of the Confraternity, compiled the first index of the Archive (Inventario dell’Archivio eretto nell’anno 1822), while in 2008 the then director of the Institute Chryssa Maltezou re-classified all the archival material compiling a new Archival Guide.
The Archive of the Hellenic Institute preserves documents relating to: a) the organization and operation of the Confraternity and the Community, including the Statute (Mariegola), ducal letters, registers of members, minutes of meetings and indexes of movable property; b) the establishment, erection, organization and administration of the church of St. George of the Greeks in Venice, the founding of the Archdiocese (Metropolis) of Philadelphia and the monastery of the Greek women, including patriarchal letters, decisions from papal councils and the remnants of priests; c) educational and charitable activity (schools and institutions operating within the Community); d) construction projects and relevant work; e) financial management (testaments, donations and bequest documents – including the records of merchants who lived and worked in Venice); f) remnants of the personal archive of the scholars Spyridione and Giovanni Veloudis; g) the registers of the Greek Community of Livorno (1760-1938) and so on.
During 2006-2008, in the framework of the program “Digititalisation, cataloging and documentation of the Archive of the Hellenic Institute of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Studies and development of multimedia cultural and educational applications” of the Operational Program «Information Society (Measure 1.3)», 42 registers were partially or completely digitalised, as well as 209 documents and 7 manuscripts.